I arrived there at 8:15 AM. Left at 2:30 PM. Spent 6:15 hrs at the Regional Passport Office in Koramangala, Bangalore to apply for the re-issue of my passport (due to expire in July). It took a long time, but the work got done. I was happy to note the complete absence of self-proclaimed facilitators (a.k.a touts) or any demand by any official for any sort of bribe.
The place is a bit (just a bit) chaotic but in all fairness, I did not find the government officials to be unnecessarily bureaucratic (or lazy). But if your paperwork is not proper, then you would have to run around a couple of times.
- Carry all originals.
- All affidavits have to be submitted in original (plus a copy).
- Carry at least 2 address proofs that clearly establish that you have been staying in your current residence for more than 1 year. Else, you have to do multiple police verifications.
- Arrange the copies into two bunches. One bunch goes along with the main application; the other goes with the 2 PP forms (that goes to the Police Station for verification).
- The queue, I guess starts at around 7.30. But, I would say the optimal time to stand in the queue is around 8.45 – 9.00.
- You may have to stand in the sun/rain for a while so carry an umbrella.
- Lunch hours is 1:30 – 2:00. No one will work. However, you may not be free to go out, because you will lose your place in the queue.
- Carry some reading material and munchies. Yes, it’s kind of a daytrip.